Get High in the Cascades
2014 Basic Mountaineering Course with Skagit Alpine Club
Ever wanted to explore the Cascade Mountains that are right in your backyard? Have you done some hiking, but would like to go past the end of the trail? Are you just a bit curious about alpine climbing, but want to learn it in a safe environment, from skilled climbers with years of experience?
Well, Skagit Alpine Club is the place to start!!! For 50 years, we’ve been providing mountaineering instruction to residents of Northwestern Washington through our basic mountaineering course. This year we are offering a 6-week course from April through June. There will be classroom sessions in the evening one day a week. In addition, there will be a one-day or overnight outings on the weekends. The course covers the following:
Outings include basic hiking and scrambling, technical alpine climbing, and culminates with an alpine climb in the North Cascades. Excellent physical condition is a must, though all technical skill levels are welcome. The minimum age for attendance is 18.
The textbook is, "Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills, Vol. 7 or Vol. 8", available at most local climbing shops or by ordering through local bookstores.
Prospective students should understand the following:
· The course will be open for registration on a “first come-first served” basis until the student roster is filled
· Tuition is $300 (including a gear fee)
· Personal health insurance is required (This is a requirement of our insurance!)
· Missing class sessions and/or outings may limit your ability to participate in future outings
· Good physical condition at the onset of the class is essential, and will be assessed throughout the class
· A complementary one-year membership to Skagit Alpine Club is included
· Students are entitled to discounts at several local mountaineering retailers
If you need more information contact the lead instructor Jonathan Frostad.
link in new tab) to class
website and registration.
For problems or questions with the web site, contact the webmaster: firstname.lastname@example.org.